Het is nu do apr 18, 2024 9:07 pm

Forum gesloten Dit onderwerp is gesloten, je kunt geen berichten wijzigen of nieuwe antwoorden plaatsen  [ 5 berichten ] 
Lest we forget 
Auteur Bericht
Stefke
Bericht Lest we forget
Voor de liefhebber is er komend weekend een kamp na gebouwd in Venray, pal naast de A73 bij mc Donalds dus makkelijk bereikbaar en niet te missen. Voor meer informatie kijk effe op de pagina.

http://www.lestweforget.nl/

di sep 26, 2006 1:14 pm
John S.
Bericht 
Ik kreeg dit bericht vandaag van Col. Del Townsend:

As Veterans of World War II we often live our daily lives and soon forget many of the events that were part of our lives during our Service in the war effort. One tragic event that I will never forget was the terrible Horsa Glider Crash on the Greenham Commons Air Base on 12 December 1944, some 64 years ago.

I joined A Company,1st Battalion, 194th Glider Infantry Regiment, 17th Airborne Division at Camp Mackall, North Carolina, on 15 May 1943, as a brand new 2nd Lieutenant of Infantry. We had a small cadre of NCOs and prepared to accept the new “draftees” as they arrived by train at Hoffman, North Carolina. We completed our “Basic Training” and “Small Unit Training” there at Mackall. Glider training to include “Loading and Lashing” were completed with several Glider Flights out of Laurenburg Maxton Air Field. Several night flights and small unit maneuvers were completed. In early 1944 we moved to take part in the Tennessee Maneuvers. Following the maneuvers and “Jump School” we packed up and moved by train to Camp Miles Standish and a trip overseas on the USS Wakefield. We landed in England in August 1944 and were stationed near Swindon.

In preparation for possible commitment across the channel we continued our small unit and glider training. We used mainly the US CG4A gliders that would carry some 13 Soldiers, a jeep and four men or a 75mm howitzer and a crew of four. Both a single tow and a double tow were used in training. As part of our training we were “cross training” with the British Horsa Glider. This was a large glider that could carry some 31 soldiers and two pilots. I completed Parachute School in Camp Forrest, Tennessee and was not required to take a glider flight for pay purposes. Those individuals who did not complete jump school at Fort Benning or Tennessee were required to participate in a glider flight every three months for pay purposes.

On 12 December, 1944, 31 members of the 17th Airborne Division, (mostly from C Company, 194th GIR) gathered at the Greenham Commons Air Base for a Horsa Glider Flight for training and pay purposes. The flight ended in a horrific crash killing all 31 Members plus the two pilots. I personally knew three of the victims quite well. Major James Klock was the 194th Regimental Surgeon. During my early days at Camp Mackall Major Klock treated me for an allergy to Poison Oak and kept me from being thrown out of the Army. Chief Warrant Officer Ira Smith was an Assistant Adjutant to Capt William Hunter. Lieutenant Charles Albury was a Platoon leader in C Company, 194th GIR who I saw almost on a daily basis.

On 12 December, 1994, through the efforts of Joe Quade, 17th Pcht Maint Co and Walt Wrzeszczynski , 194th GIR Med, a Memorial there on the former Greenham Commons Air Base was dedicated to the Memory of those 33 HEROES who perished in that terrible glider crash on 12 December, 1944. We are deeply indebted to Mr Chris Green of the Royal British Legion for his leadership in the Annual Memorial Ceremonial effort. The Greenham Common Trust which now occupies and operates a major portion of what was the original Air Base where the Horsa glider crash occurred has been very active in the task of Remembrance and Perpetuating the Memory of our Fallen Heroes who perished in that crash. A major part of this effort is the naming of various streets, buildings, etc in the Business Park after the individuals who perished in the crash.
12 December, 2008, will mark the 14th Anniversary of the dedication of this Memorial

On behalf of the Membership of the 17th Airborne Division Association we would like to express our sincere Thanks and Deep Appreciation to the Royal British Legion and the Greenham Commons Trust for your continued efforts. Unfortunately, our Association is in the final days of dissolution. While we may not be around next year to express our gratitude for your very kind remembrance

di dec 09, 2008 4:03 pm
sky
Bericht 
Wat?? hoezo wordt die ontbonden???

di dec 09, 2008 5:34 pm
John S.
Bericht 
Ya, helaas.
Wij hebben vorig jaar oktober in Hampton, Virginia de laatste reunie gehad met zo'n beetje alle nog levende vets van de 17th Airborne division. Jammer, maar omdat de mannen nu toch heel oud geworden zijn en organisatie en aanwezigheid steeds meer problemen met zich meebrachten is besloten om er mee te stoppen. Neemt niet weg dat de Nederlands/Belgische 17th Airbornevrienden wél actief blijven.

di dec 09, 2008 8:10 pm
sky
Bericht 
Ok, toch jammer, mmaar zoals je het uitlegt wel begrijpelijk:)

wo dec 10, 2008 10:09 am
Forum gesloten Dit onderwerp is gesloten, je kunt geen berichten wijzigen of nieuwe antwoorden plaatsen  [ 5 berichten ]